Our Founder President Aroti Dutt (1924–2003) entered the realm of social work through her marriage to the son of Gurusaday Dutt, a renowned reformist, among other things. In 1958, she won a scholarship to do a Diploma in International Social Welfare at the Institute of Social Studies at The Hague, The Netherlands. She received her Diploma for her paper “Social Welfare Planning for low-income countries” in 1959. Apart from working for Saroj Nalini Dutt Association which was started by her father in law, she was also associated with several other women’s organisations.
• Founder President of the Soroptimist International Club in Calcutta;
• First National President of Soroptimist International of India; and
• Founder President of the Inner Wheel Club of India;
• Founder President of the Countrywomen’s Association of India;
• World President of the Countrywomen Association of the World 1965, and was re-elected unopposed in 1968.
• Associated Countrywomen of the World elected her a “Member of Honour” 1983
She had also been – Member of the Central Social Welfare Board 1978–80; Member of the West Bengal State Social Welfare Board since 1988; Chairman of the Family Planning Association for West Bengal;President & Trustee of the Bengal Bratachari Society;Vice-Chairman, Gurusaday Dutt Folk Art Society, Gurusaday Museum; Patron of the National Indian Association of Women; President of the Sylhet Union; as also served on various Committees of the Central and State Governments.
She wrote extensively in Bangla. In English, she authored a travelogue ‘Over the Rainbow’, which covers fragments of her life story and gives us glimpses of the philosophy which drove her.